December 19, 2016
Meatless Monday – BBQ Bean & Coleslaw Sandwiches
An Easy Meatless Monday Recipe
Take a break from the holiday party leftovers, fast-food meals, or even just the usual weekday lineup for dinner. This week, tryout a Meatless Monday entree!
Why would anyone go meatless? Well, you might do it for your health, as getting in enough veggies every day can be hard. Or you might do it for the environment, as skipping a meat meal lowers your carbon footprint. Or you could just do it to mix up your menu! The challenge of leaving out meat, the de-facto USA center of most meals, forces creativity in the kitchen, which might just open up your culinary world.
‘Creative’ doesn’t have to mean difficult though. This recipe is simple, and takes only 15-20 minutes of active cooking. If that’s too much for you, we also offer a super-quick, single serving version for the time-pressed cook. Dorm-room dwellers, this is your version: All you need is a sink, two bowls, a spoon and a microwave. Ready? Grab your aprons!
Easy BBQ Bean & Coleslaw Sandwiches
|4 Hamburger Buns or Sandwich Rolls||½ cup Egg-free mayo|
|2-15 oz cans Pinto Beans||2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar|
|2 cups of your Favorite BBQ Sauce||½ Tbsp Poppy Seeds|
|1 Cup Shredded Green Cabbage||1-3 Tbsp sugar (to taste)|
|1 Cup Shredded Purple Cabbage||Onion Powder (to taste)|
|½ Cup Grated Carrot||Salt & Pepper (to taste)|
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a baking dish, combine drained and rinsed beans with BBQ sauce. Stir, cover with foil and bake for 30 mins.
3. While your beans are baking, combine all dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Adjust seasonings to taste.
4. Rinse and dry your shredded cabbage and grated carrots, then toss with your coleslaw dressing. Set aside.
5. At 30 minutes, uncover your beans and continue cooking for 15-30 minutes more, or until the sauce has thickened.
6. Remove beans from oven, and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
7. Slice your sandwich buns, and layer beans and coleslaw for the perfect sandwich. Enjoy!
|1 Bag of pre-chopped Coleslaw Mix (carrots and cabbage)||1 Jar of Coleslaw Dressing|
|1 15oz Can of Pinto Beans|
|Hamburger Buns (or sandwich bread, or pita bread, etc.)|
1. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine drained & rinsed pinto beans with enough BBQ sauce to coat well.
2. Microwave in 30 second intervals until hot, stirring between heatings.
3. Rinse about a cup portion of your bagged coleslaw mix well, drain and pat dry.
4. In another bowl, combine coleslaw mix with dressing until coated to your liking.
5. Layer bean mixture and coleslaw on sandwich buns and enjoy!
Want more healthy recipes? Check out our other posts:
- Winter Recipes
- Five Recipes for your Best BBQ – Staff Picks
- Anatomy of a Healthy Trail Mix
- Three Holiday Recipes You’ll Love – Staff Picks
BACK TO ALL