August 18, 2017
Youth Learn to Swim Kickoff Event
This event has passed. For more MIT Recreation events, like @MITRecreation on Facebook.
As the new school year begins, why not add a different type of class to your child’s fall curriculum? A class that they will be excited to dive into, like one of the many American Red Cross Courses in the MIT Recreation Youth Learn to Swim Program!
With more than 170 classes scheduled for this fall, the MIT Recreation Youth Learn to Swim Program provides youth in Cambridge, and the surrounding communities of Sommerville, Boston, Brighton, and Allston, with an opportunity to learn to swim and develop skills from expert instructors in a diverse and inclusive environment. Our instructions incorporate fun with safety and expert instruction to help your child succeed.
The MIT Community and friends are invited to join us at our Youth Learn to Swim Program Fall 2017 Kick-off Event on Monday, August 28, 2017 from 3:00pm to 5:00pm at the Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center.
What to Expect at the Kick-off Event
Parents and families at the Youth Learn to Swim Program Kick-off Event will have an opportunity to have a first-hand look at the MIT Recreation Zesiger Pool where many of our youth swim lessons take place. Members from the MIT Recreation Aquatics team will be available to help you find out which class is best for your child and you will be able to meet with some of our WSI certified instructors to ask any additional questions that you may have.
Additionally, the 25-meter teaching pool will be available for youth swim evaluations. This will provide both parents and MIT Recreation instructors with more insight on which of our classes will best help your child reach their swimming goals. If you plan to have your child participate in an evaluation, please be sure to bring appropriate swimwear and swim diapers (if applicable).
*Access to the MIT Recreation locker rooms will be available for changing.
More About the Youth Learn to Swim Program
Good news – you don’t have to be an MIT Recreation member to enroll in our instructional programs, including our Youth Learn to Swim Program. While members do receive a discount, our programs have both member and non-member rates and are open to the surrounding community with classes for children ages 6 months and older. Prices vary based on class types and times, but Fall classes 2017 can all be viewed on our Youth Instructional Program Schedule for Quarter 1 or Quarter 2.
The MIT Recreation Youth Learn to Swim Program has three groups of classes which include the following:
In these classes, a parent or guardian must enter the water with their child.
- Parent-Infant: Focus on water adjustment.
- Parent-Toddler: Focus on building readiness.
- Parent-Beaver: Focus on building independence.
- Preschool 1: Focus on bubble blowing, floating, and underwater exploration.
- Preschool 2: Focus on floating, airway control, gliding, kicks, and arm movements.
- Preschool 3: Focus on coordination and control.
- Level 1: Focus on airway control, floating, kicking, underwater exploration, and safety.
- Level 2: Focus on floating without support, recovery to vertical position, underwater exploration, gliding, and treading water.
- Level 3 Shallow: Focus on rotary breathing, front and back crawl, elementary backstroke, sidestroke, and butterfly kicks.
- Level 3 Deep: Focus on improving front and back crawl, elementary backstroke, sidestroke, and butterfly kicks.
- Level 4: Focus on swimming underwater, improving strokes, and learning open turns and standing dives.
- Level 5: Focus on coordination, stroke refinement, endurance, and improving turns and dives.
Not able to make it to our kick-off event? No worries – you can take a placement survey online to find out which class is best for your child here.
BACK TO ALL