May 4, 2020
Healthy Garlic Sausage Rapini Recipe
Let’s mix up the menu this quarantine with a Healthy Garlic Sausage Rapini Recipe (Serves about 6-7).
Being stuck in the house can get boring and mundane but that doesn’t mean your dinner has to be! A healthy, easy to cook meal can help bring the family together during these challenging times.
|12 oz Whole grain penne pasta (for more protein try Banza penne pasta!)||1 tsp Salt|
|1 lb Italian chicken sausage (can use regular Italian sausage as well)||1 tsp Black Pepper|
|2 tbsp Olive oil||¼ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (if desired)|
|4 cups of Fresh Spinach||¼ cup Parmesan Cheese|
|1 Package of Broccolini||Fresh Italian parsley, chopped (finishing garnish)|
|3 Garlic Cloves, minced and peeled|
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water, then drain.
2. Chop up the Italian sausage into slices and cook in a large skillet with some olive oil until lightly browned. Add in the rest of the olive oil, broccolini, and spinach into the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until the spinach is wilted, and broccolini is tender.
3. Add in the minced garlic and stir until golden brown. Add the ¼ cup of pasta water and pasta to the skillet and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if desired) – stir to combine.
4. Simmer until the liquids have absorbed, stirring constantly over medium heat.
5. Serve in bowls – top with black pepper, chopped parsley, and parmesan cheese! Enjoy!
– For low fat options choose a turkey or chicken sausage.
– Banza pasta (made with chickpeas) is a great high protein, low carb swap for regular pasta!
– You can also use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic!